18 August 2010

Ex Cathedra: From The Saddle



As much as it pains me to say this, I think that switching from all-leather to “donut” saddles has worked for me.

My gynecologist said as much.  The last time I saw her, some of the tissue near my labia was torn and developed an infection.  This time, I didn’t have such a problem.  Rather, the stinging I felt was a yeast infection.  In addition to a one-dose medication, she prescribed less sugar and more yogurt for me. 




So, in that sense, the Terry Falcon X saddles I installed on Arielle and Tosca have succeeded for me.  I’m also starting to like their shape, which flares more gradually from front to rear than the Brooks saddles or the other nylon-based saddles, like the Fizik Pave (Here's a review of it.)  and Selle Italia Flite, I’ve ridden.  However, I’m still getting re-accustomed to the feel of thin (though dense) padding between a fairly inflexible base and a thin, stretchy leather cover.  I must say, though, that on the longest ride I’ve taken so far on either of those saddles, I didn’t feel sore.





I have installed a Terry Butterfly saddle on the Miss Mercian I’ve been building, which is almost complete.  (I’m waiting for the rack and I think I’m going to put wider tires on it.)  The Butterfly is wider, has a larger cutout in the middle and seems to be a bit more padded.  Therefore, I think it might be better for the Miss Mercian, which I will be riding in a more upright position than I ride my other two Mercians.  Having taken only two very short rides on the new bike, I’m not ready to comment on the Butterfly.

At some point in the future, I’ll say more about both saddles.  By then, I may have decided whether they’re keepers.  

(By the way, the bags you see under both saddles are Bike Burritos.  I highly recommend them.)

3 comments:

  1. Nothing quite equals the sense of general well-being and sublime contentment that the 'discovery' of a comfy saddle engenders. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you mean that the Terry causes no discomfort at all in that region, or that it still causes some discomfort, but less than the Brooks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Velouria: Interestingly, I didn't feel discomfort on the two longest rides I've taken with it so far. I did both of those rides--to the Delaware Water Gap and to Connecticut--on Arielle, my road Mercian. However, I have felt a bit of discomfort in riding it on Tosca, which is a bit steeper and on which the handlebars are lower.

    ReplyDelete