24 February 2011

What The Weather Took And Left

Somewhere in my dim dark past I learned that when glaciers recede, they take away pieces of whatever they covered.


That theory would seem to hold up in light of what I saw this morning:




About two weeks ago, this bike was buried under about two feet of snow:




Now, I'd like to think that the bike had a seat (and post!) when it was parked before the snowstorm.  Although I'm a hardened New Yorker, I'd still rather believe that the seat and seatpost were swept away by retreating snow and ice than to know that they were taken by someone.  




And, just as the backtracking snow and ice cut crevasses and tear chasms into the earth, so did the retreating remnants of this winter's storm rend this vessel of urban transport:




Do we pity the bike or simply attribute what it's endured to the march of history?

2 comments:

  1. It is also possible that its owner, faced with the advancing ice, removed the seat to keep it nice against the return of nicer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...I hadn't thought of that. It would definitely make sense if the saddle is leather.

    ReplyDelete