22 March 2014

Where Did I Leave It?

New York City is one of the few places in this country where large numbers of people don't own, or even drive, cars.  I am among them.

It's pretty easy to tell those who drive from those who do: The latter complain about the lack of parking.  Someone with whom I used to work said that in his vision of Hell, he is doomed to forever roam the streets of Brooklyn in search of a legal parking space.

(Hmm...Would Dante have included that if he were writing The Inferno today?  If so, which circle of Hell would it be?)

That got me to wondering whether cyclists have the same problem in places where almost everybody rides.  After all, I have had to park my wheels a block or even more from my destination because there wasn't an unoccupied sign post or parking meter--let alone a bike station--where I could lock up my machine.

What do they do in Amsterdam?

From Danasaurus

Hmm...Now where did I park?

3 comments:

  1. Much like parking at the Basel train station: http://dfwptp.blogspot.com/2010/07/park-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link, Steve. I wonder whether cyclists in Basel complain as much as drivers do about parking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I passed one of those structures and a wooden bike stood out from 400 yards, way to go.

    ReplyDelete