09 April 2015

Flora And Fauna And Time

When you live in a big city, you can tell what part of the day it is by the light in which you're seeing whatever's in front of you.  In other words, buildings or streets or other structures reflect morning, noon or night by dawn, daylight, dusk, shadows or artificial light.






Here in small-town and rural Florida, flora and fauna show varying sides of themselves through the different facets of the day.  So, bush that might bud at one time of the day could bloom a couple of hours later and denude itself by nightfall.



And so it was this morning, when I rode from my parents' house.  The street on which they live ends in a wider street that edges a wooded area.  That street, in turn, leads to a four-line parkway that cuts through a swamp. 



Alongside the parkway I saw these tiny flowers colored like pale lilacs waving in the breeze as I pedaled away.  When I returned in the afternoon, they were gone.  They were repeating the "hello" and "goodbye" they bade me yesterday and the day before as I began and ended those days' rides.

Tomorrow I will bid them farewell until another day, another season--and more important, another hour, another time of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment