14 November 2016

Would You Sit On A Bike--Or In A Class--Like This?

I am a cyclist.  I also happen to be an educator.  

As we all know, there are some people who will never, ever ride, no matter how much you tell show them that you don't have to be an athlete, wear special clothes or even ride any particular type of bicycle, and that they can start with a ride to the store, to the park or any other place within a couple of kilometers of their homes.

Likewise, I see plenty of students who have no desire to learn--or, at least, to learn whatever I'm teaching.  I can make writing and literature at least somewhat interesting for some people who have no particular inclination or aptitude for such things. But there are those who simply resent being in my classes:  Why do I have to take this course to be a radiology technician?  How is this going to help me design games?  In my country, when you went to school for nursing, you took just nursing courses--not all of these other classes!

I have long suspected that some people have an experience, or experiences, that turn them away from cycling or learning.  For the latter, it could be a particularly harsh or simply unhelpful teacher at a time when they were struggling with the classwork--or with some other issue in their lives.  As for cycling, a fall at a young age or having to ride a bike that was uncomfortable--or simply feeling awkward--killed any wish to ride they might have had.

Today, someone sent me something that just might be enough to destroy someone's desire to learn (or teach) and ride a bike:


I mean, tell me:  Would you want to ride a bike--or be in a class--that was so designed?


A colleague found this "infographic" in an Education (yes, with a capital E) journal.  It figures. 

5 comments:

  1. The chain, chainwheel pedals and cranks have no purpose!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coline--You're right. Still, the bike is no more impractical than some ideas I've seen in education journals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Infographics like that drive me insane - as they're always being trotted out by some administrator, or given out in some mind-numbing teacher-training seminar. They have no bearing in reality. I generally refer to them as exercises in educational masturbation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Infographics like that drive me insane - as they're always being trotted out by some administrator, or given out in some mind-numbing teacher-training seminar. They have no bearing in reality. I generally refer to them as exercises in educational masturbation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brooks--"Educational masturbation" is a great way of describing them.

    In my experience, when folks come up with stuff like that, it means they can't come up with a better idea to get themselves tenure, a promotion or a grant.

    ReplyDelete