18 June 2017

Happy Father's Day!

Some parents talk about their failures in raising their children.  Of course, "failure" can be defined in any number of ways:  Perhaps the child didn't follow the career path the parents wanted.  Or he or she married the "wrong" person or didn't get married at all--or didn't have kids.  Or end up with the lifestyle the parents envisioned.

I have to say, I am guilty on all counts. My career and lifestyle are nothing like what my parents--especially my father--wanted from and for me.  And, yes, I married the "wrong" person--and never married again after that.  But none of that is either of my parents' fault--really.

I will, however, admit there is one area in which I've failed miserably in the making of my parents.  You see, I tried to turn both of them into cyclists--even to the point of giving them bicycles as gifts for some occasion or another.  I don't think my mother ever rode hers (If I recall, it was sold when my parents moved from New Jersey to Florida.) and my father may have ridden a couple of times with me.  Though his bike survived the move, it, too was eventually sold.

So...I can't say that my father (or mother) and I bonded over bike riding.  For that matter, if I recall correctly, I didn't learn how to ride from either of them:  I got those lessons from my grandfather (who died before I turned eight) and an uncle.  

I failed, but I think my parents have forgiven me by now.  A lot has been forgiven, or simply written off as vodka under the bridge, as Alexandr Revva might say. 

(Why did I choose him?  I confess:  He's one of the few Russians whose name I can spell!)

Anyway, in the spirit of father-child relationships, I offer this, from one of my favorite comic-strip series:



Happy Father's Day!

6 comments:

  1. Fear of having a child like that would be enough to make me give up on procreation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coline--I agree. But the fact that Calvin was such a terrible child is what made the comic strip fun. I mean, who wants a comic strip (or film or novel, for that matter) about an obedient child who never causes trouble?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has just struck me as to why I was such a dull child...

      Delete
    2. Coline--You? Dull? I simply can't imagine it!

      Delete
  3. Oh, how I miss Calvin and Hobbes. And The Far Side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MT--I agree. The world is not the same without those comics. Or "Pinky and the Brain".

    ReplyDelete