08 November 2017

Tandem Role Reversals?

As I have mentioned in other posts, I've ridden tandems only a couple of times in my life.  It's something I would do again if the opportunity presented itself.  Of course, for such an opportunity to present itself, I'd need a tandem partner--and, of course, a tandem bicycle.  About the latter:  Not many of us who live in NYC apartments own them.

Anyway, my experience as a transgender woman has led me to notice some of the male biases in cycling I hadn't noticed when I was still riding and living as male.  

While I was of average height for a male, I am taller than most women.  That means it's still relatively easy for me to get a diamond frame that fits well (though I've still opted for custom bikes, for various reasons) and if I look and wait, I can get a women's or mixte frame that suits me.  On the other hand, it's more difficult for me to buy cycle clothing, as some of my body proportions have changed, in part from my gender transition as well as aging.  So, while it used to be easy for me to buy clothing--all I had to know was my waist and chest (or shirt) size--now clothes that are the "right" size might be too loose or tight in the hips, bust or other areas--or sleeves, pants, tights and shorts (!) might be too short. 

All of that, I believe, is a result of not considering the full range of measurements possible for a woman.  There seems to be an assumption that female cyclists will be young and built like fashion models.  Also, I have too often seen a built-in inferiority complex when it comes to stuff made for women:  It's, as often as not, just less-well-designed or lower-quality versions of stuff made for men.

Oh, there's another bias I've noticed:




The vast majority of high-quality tandems I've seen have "diamond" or "men's" frames in both the front and rear.  In a lot of ways, that makes sense because tandems have such long wheelbases and "diamond" frames are usually stiffer and more stable, than dropped top-tube frames with otherwise similar design and materials.

That itself isn't quite as much a reflection of bias as this:




Just about every tandem I've seen that combines men's and women's designs has the men's or "diamond" frame on the front and the dropped top tube on the rear.  The assumption is that the man will be the "captain" and  the woman will be the "stoker."  I guess it's still that way for most couples who ride tandems, but over the years, I've encountered a slowly but steadily increasing number of couples in which the woman is the stronger or more dedicated rider.  

For such couples, a tandem might look more like this:




unless, of course--to use a somewhat dated metaphor--the woman "wears the pants" in the couple.

Whatever their riding roles and styles, they will surely turn heads if they ride this:



5 comments:

  1. Usually the captain's position goes to the heavier rider. i once tried to stoke a tandem with a captain whom i outweighed by 40+ pounds- it didn't work at all as we skewed all over the road if i leaned even a little.
    Try as i might, i couldn't get a tandem that in any way was ridable for my wife. The solution would be either a diamond-mixte frame (hard to find one of any good quality in the sizes needed) or a custom frame (beyond the budget.) but i'm still looking for a good second hand one that fills the bill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never dwelt much on tandem design details since I am unsure about the responsibility of being in the front and inability to totally trust someone at the back. Clearly too many lonesome miles here...

    Fascinating to see so many design ideas being tried out like the Dutch style one has rear steering bars and a neat guard over the front chain. What I have often wondered about is the optimal chainring size for the shared link, does a larger chainring give a greater mechanical advantage?

    Last thought, 18 spokes on a tandem wheel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike--I hadn't thought about the issue you mention. Having a heavier rider on the rear could, I imagine, cause some of the worst "fishtailing" imaginable.

    And you're right about the diamond-mixte combo.

    Coline--Even if I were at the weight I was at age 10, I don't think I'd want to ride 18 spokes on a tandem wheel!

    That Dutch bike looks pretty cool, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if you'd noticed this or not, but that tandem with the "ladies" style up front, and the "mens" style in back is still set up to be controlled by the man. If you look closely, you'll see a linkage from the rear handlebar (at the bottom of a long steerer tube or rod) to the front fork. The brake, however, is controlled from the front. The first time I saw such a tandem, I thought how cool it was that it appeared to be designed for a female "captain" - then I saw that linkage. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brooks--Thank you for pointing that out. I guess the design of that tandem isn't so enlightened after all! ;-(

    ReplyDelete