10 January 2018

Sunshine, With Irony

So...where in the world is Justine Valinotti now?



OK, you know this isn't the Ponte Vecchio.  Or the Pont Neuf.  Or the Tower, Verrazano or Golden Gate Bridges.


For all I know, the local transportation authorities don't even classify it as a bridge.  It doesn't connect countries, states or even two sides of a neighborhood. The houses on each side of this bridge are even considered part of the same development.

The body of water spanned by that structure looks like this:



Seeing that birthday party baloon floating in the effluvium surprised me more than seeing a creature that could have caused me harm would have--or, for that matter, almost anything else I might have encountered.


It's a canal, and from what I've gathered, it was used for irrigation, as it doesn't look terribly navigable. (Now tell me, who else  uses phrases like "terribly navigable"?)  It runs behind the house where I'm staying.

You've probably figured, by now, that I'm visiting my parents 




in "The Sunshine State."

It sounds like a corollary of Murphy's Law:  You escape from the cold only to run into the rain.

We might get more rain tomorrow.  I might chance a ride, but if I don't, skies are supposed to clear--and the temperature drop--the day after.  I wouldn't mind that.

Nor do I mind today which, so far, has included a leisurely lunch with my mother and one of her friends.  It's fun, and part of my education!

3 comments:

  1. "Terribly navigable"? I believe I've heard that phrase more often than the word "effluvium". :-)
    Be careful down there; I've heard that alligators will sometimes take the form of party balloons just to entrap unsuspecting northerners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a nice visit with your folks, but please be careful of the drivers there. Remember, it's not paranoia if they are really out to get you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Louis and Phillip--So alligators take the form of party balloons? They really are out to get me, aren't they?

    Seriously, I am more careful with the drivers here than in NYC or most other places. And, well, how many chances do we get to use words like "effluvium"?

    ReplyDelete