16 February 2018

Where You Can Get Your Kicks

"You shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you."

That, of course, is a line from Bob Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone."   When I was growing up, people said that whatever they did for pleasure was how they "got their kicks."

And, of course, there was that famous Nat King Cole song, "Get Your Kicks On Route 66."

I don't hear that expression much anymore.  But if I were to use it, I would say that cycling is one of the ways I get my kicks.

If I manage to get out to Missouri and Kansas, I must might be able to "get my kicks on Route 66."  Officials in those states are working to have part of the iconic highway, much of which fell into disuse after the Interstate system was built, as a bicycle route.

 
Joplin, Missouri bicycle shop owner Debra Johnson says designating a stretch of Route 66 as a bicycle route would be great for business.


So far, it seems that Missouri is closer to that goal.  According to a report, the designation could occur in the "Show Me" State some time this year.  To be fair, Kansas, which has the shortest stretch of Route 66, isn't far behind.


If efforts in those states succeed, we might be able to get our kicks on Route 66 in a way that Nat might not have imagined.  And we would be following Bob's admonition.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Nat King Cole link.

    Outdated slang is something of a problem when you get to be "a certain age", as you say. During my visits back to the US, I sometimes say something that makes people ask "Where have you been since the 60's". (They wouldn't believe it.) I have come to the conclusion that the best alternative when you get above "a certain age" is to speak correct English, just a bit formal, and forsake all slang. 50's and 60's slang sounds strange today, and a person born during World War II trying to talk like somebody under 30 is even stranger. I remember old people when I was young speaking very correct and proper English. I guess it has always been a problem. Languages change so rapidly.

    But my mother always spoke as if it were 1935-40, right up until she passed away in 2016. I picked up much of that speech and like to pepper my English with it. "That was a real snafu, you bubble head."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leo--Sometimes old slang--especially if we learned it from beloved family members--is fun to use. But it's a little sad when hardly anybody--and nobody who isn't "a certain age"--understands it!

    ReplyDelete