07 August 2011

First Ride In Prague

All right, I admit it.  I didn't end up with a guy named Vaclav. Instead, I spent  part of yesterday afternoon with a cute Czech cyclist named Michael:




He's a law student at Charles University in this town.  He speaks beautiful English and, surprisingly, pretty good Spanish.  And, as you may have guessed by now, yesterday he guided me on my very first bike ride in Prague.  


So, here's the answer to a question you may (or may not) have asked:








Yes, it's the bike I rode.  The alternatives were a single-speed cruiser and a mountain bike of a brand I didn't recognize.  I didn't mind the lack of a name brand nearly as much as the poor fit the mountain bike was for me.  


I don't know who made the bike I rode.  I doubt it was made in the Czech Republic; I'm not sure that any bicycles are still being made here.  For the kind of bike it is, it felt pretty good.  




The traffic didn't scare me too much. But the trolley tracks did.  It's so easy to get a tire, even a wide one, caught in the grooves or to scrape the sides of the knobs against the tracks, and to tumble over.  




Nothing like that happened on our ride through the central part of the city.   At least I know now about the tracks, and other hazards.  But more important, I started to see this beautiful city from one of the best possible angles.

5 comments:

  1. MelissatheRagamuffinAugust 7, 2011 at 6:21 PM

    Glad you enjoyed your ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope it is nice and cooler there in CZ! Have a blast and some Pilsener :)

    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually there are Czech made bikes! Czech out FORT frames! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Justine, quite envious, most tourists to Prague spend all their time walking crowded streets. You seem to have lost a lot of the original images from the blog which is a shame...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coline--I wonder what happened. I have those photos on a disc. When I get a chance, I'll restore them!

    ReplyDelete