15 November 2012

Vera Helps Sandy's Victims

OK, so I didn't load Vera like this:

From Uphaa



But I did carry a good bit more than I usually take on my daily commutes.  I took a cell phone photo and accidentally deleted it!


I carried an old Compaq computer, which I strapped to my new Civia Mission rack.  On top of that, I strapped a yoga-type bag filled with half a dozen cans of tuna, two boxes of pasta, a box of raisins and some gloves, scarves, skull and watch caps and head bands.

And I attached one of my Carradice Barley bags to my saddle.  I didn't strap the bottom to the seat post. Rather, I let the bag rest horizontally on top of the stuff I'd lashed to the rack.

And, on the front, I carried a small parcel, which I'd intended to mail on the way but didn't until after my last class had ended.

So why did I carry so much?  At the college where I work, there's been a collection for victims of Superstorm Sandy.  In such emergencies, non-perishable foods are always in demand.  And, when the weather turns colder, people need warm clothes and accessories.


Finally, someone had put out a call for older laptop computers for students who'd been affected by the storm.  The tech support people at the college are going to update them with contemporary operating systems.  


I know, I could have taken the train or bus.  But I wanted to ride my bike, well, just because I could.  It's nice to know that Vera can handle it so well.

2 comments:

  1. Too bad the ultimate recipients will never know how their donations arrived - they'd appreciate them even more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve--That's one reason I wish I hadn't deleted that picture. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete