01 March 2017

Into The Rain, In The Pink

Fog dissipated as I rode across the RFK Bridge this morning on my way to work.

The rest of the day has been overcast, if unseasonably warm.  Rain was promised for late in the day; I will probably pedal home in it.

My philosophy about raingear was best summed up by Robert Browning:  Less is more.   When it's warm, I simply wear as little as possible.  When it's a bit cooler, I try to keep at least my extremities dry.  I've learned I have a choice of getting wet from outside or within:  If I am uncovered, I will get drenched in the rain, but if I cover myself up, I'll bathe in my own sweat even when I'm wearing "breathable" raingear.

Now, if I want to be stylish, of course, I'll ride with an umbrella.  Believe it or not, it's something I've actually done:  umbrella in one hand, handlebar in the other.  I also saw it done in England and France.  Of course, pedaling with your parapluie in one hand is best done at slow speeds in places with light vehicular traffic.



But since riding with an umbrella is about style--or, at least, fashion--one's color choices are important.  

Thanks to "Sancycles" of Malabon, Philippines for that image.

2 comments:

  1. I've gravitated to using a poncho because I dislike sweating inside traditional "breathable" and expensive rain jacket and pants. The poncho is not great on windy days, but it functions as intended and for 25.00 seems like a bargain to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie--When I first started cycling, I used a poncho, mainly because that's what I used on my hiking and camping trips with the Scouts. I just may go back to using one: Really, I haven't found anything much better.

    ReplyDelete