02 December 2013

It's All In The Name

How often, when we're on our bikes, do we see some place and tell ourselves, "I must come back!"?

It can be an interesting historic site or natural feature, or some beautiful (or simply odd) street- or land-scape, or piece of architecture.  

Or it might be a restaurant or coffee shop.




I don't often see businesses with my name on them. I certainly wasn't expecting to see one in the middle of the Bronx, just a few blocks (and one stop on the #4 train) north of Yankee Stadium.



Notice that it's called "Justine", not "Justine's".  I wonder if its proprietor read Lawrence Durell's novel by that name, or the George Cukor film based on it.  (Anouk Aimee plays the lead role.)  Or, perhaps, the owner read another novel by the same name--written by none other than the Marquis de Sade.

One of these days, I'll go back there.  I wonder if restaurant reviewers ever consider a restaurant's name in writing their critiques.  

2 comments:

  1. I had my Lawrence Durrell question all ready but should have known that you would have read it... Never been tempted by De Sade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coline--Durell's book is excellent. De Sade, on the other hand, is not a great writer: I think translations make his writing seem better than it actually is. (One of my profs, who read Russian, said the same thing about Dostoevsky.)

    ReplyDelete