13 November 2019

Retail Therapy

In the days after 11 September 2001, the US stock market incurred some of its biggest losses up to that point in its history.  Other markets around the world took similar "hits"; some feared that a recession that had begun earlier in the year would turn into a depression.

While there would be further losses, and the economy would show other signs of weakness, by end of 2001, the markets and other sectors of the economy had regained most of their losses.  And, even though tourism (particularly the airlines) experienced a major slump, the economy as a whole didn't fare as badly as some expected.  This, according to economists, was due at least in part to consumer spending.

In other words, people (at least those who could afford to do so) used "retail therapy" to deal with the stress and anxiety caused by events of that time.  They were encouraged by the President himself and enabled by low interest rates on loans and credit cards.

Now, I don't mean to equate the death of my mother with the shock of 9/11, though it's the saddest event of my life.  But I suppose that buying something you like can ease, if momentarily, some emotional pain.  And, aside from what it does to one's budget, I guess it's better than, say, taking drugs or drinking, though not quite as good for a person as bike riding--which, by the way, I've been doing.

Speaking of bike riding--with the emphasis on "bike"--I engaged in a bit of retail therapy.  Yes, I bought another bike.  I couldn't resist.  Well, all right, I could have.  But when the guy who sold it dropped the price, he lowered my resistance.



Truthfully, that bike would have been hard to resist anyway.  For one thing, it's a Mercian.  For another, it's the right size.  And the Campagnolo triple crankset and Rally derailleur definitely are rarities.





Oh, and that paint job!



One of the reasons why I got such a good deal, I believe, is that the bike has sew-up tires.  I haven't ridden such tires in about twenty years, and have no intention of riding them again.  The other things I'll change are the stem (because it's too long) and the saddle.  But, really, I simply couldn't pass up an almost-full Campagnolo bike on a Reynolds 531 frame with that paint job.  That paint job!





And it's a Mercian--a 1984 King of Mercia, to be exact.  The wheelbase and clearances--not to mention the rack braze-ons and the bottle cage mount on the underside of the down tube--give this bike a more-than-passing resemblance to touring bikes from Trek as well as a number of Japanese manufacturers during the early-to-mid '80's.  Tubular tires don't make much sense on it; I think that the original wheels were lost.  




Even after I replace the tires, rims, saddle and stem, this bike will still be a great buy.  Especially with that paint job!


11 comments:

  1. That's a beauty. I swapped out some Nisi tubular rims for chinchers while refurbishing a friend's early 70s Raleigh Competition. I offered them up on ebay for pennies and got zero interest. They ended up the metal recycle because I needed to free up space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bike like that deserves a pair of Rene Herse Stampede Pass 32C tires (provided the frame will clear them). I promise you won't miss the tubies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very small inner chain ring for a campag triple. My bike shop owner thought I was mad when I ordered a triple / Rally setup in the mid 70s...

    Those brake cable guides are a joy though the white covers are a bit brash. Sleek stem but what a silly length and huge drop on bars... I recently got Rustines replacement hood covers which should see me out.

    I regret ordering plain black paintwork on a custom frame which I wanted to look not worth stealing after a recent theft, that red is gorgeous and the forks taper more elegantly than some modern Mercians. Lovely picked out lugs though I am never sure about their seat tube decorations.

    Apart from throwing away the front changer and outer brake cable, braided stainless perhaps, will you reuse the original hubs? Mine still spin like new and wish I had done that rather than get completely new wheels made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MT—Although I don’t expect much, if any, interest, I’ll list the tubulars locally: I don’t want to be bothered shipping them.

    Phillip—I was thinking along those lines. It looks like 32Cs will fit. I think I have a pair of Pasela folding gumwalls lying around from another project that changed direction. If I don’t find those, or if they don’t work out, I may go for the RH tires (which, if I am not mistaken, are made by Panaracer, as the Paselas are.

    Coline—Around the time this bike was made, a couple of boutique component makers were drilling and tapping Campy spiders to accept smaller chainrings. I believe that my crankset got the treatment.

    I will need to replace the cable housings, as they are cracked. Actually, I like to replace the cables on any used bike I acquire unless they are new, or nearly so.

    The Phil Wood hubs on this bike are 32h. So I am thinking about saving them for another project or selling them. I have a pair of 36h Campy hubs from the same period that would definitely go with the rest of the bike.

    Resty—Thanks! I really lucked out on the price.

    Everyone—Should I feel guilty about buying and refurbishing this bike soon after losing my Mom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not guilty! Life goes on. 36 holes is nice, 40 at the back if possible. I still get spooked with fewer than that...

      Delete
  5. #1: Gorgeous bike! If it were a larger frame, i'd really feel doubly envious...

    #2 No, don't feel guilty. It will give you something to do and besides, i'd bet your mom would want you to do something to help you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE sew-up tires. Well, except when they go flat...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roger and Mike--Thanks.

    Steve--I felt the same way when I was riding sew-ups regularly.

    ReplyDelete