01 June 2020

Paint, Polish and Patina

Today included a trip to Dollar Tree so I could stock up for the apocalypse.  No, as bad as some things are, we're not in it. At least, not in this part of the world and not yet.

Anyway, as I left--with toilet paper and hand sanitizer, among other things--I spotted this:

Its owner had left the store just before me.  She didn't speak English well and I don't know what, if any, other languages we might have had in common.  But at least she understood that I was looking at her bike and not trying to scam her--out of it or anything else.



After a bit of fumbling, I managed to ask whether the bike came with that finish.  An artist friend did it, she said.  And that friend is going to "fix" it for her soon.



As I write this, I'm thinking of that debate of whether a work of art should be hermetically sealed, as many museum pieces are, or left to public contact.  I rather liked that paint finish as it is, but I can understand why she'd want her friend to restore it.  I mean, I like bikes with patina and ones with shine. 



No comments:

Post a Comment