22 May 2023

Attacked Because He Is A Cyclist?

 These days, when I ride into Manhattan, I am most likely to use the Williamsburg Bridge.  One reason is convenience:  It’s closest to the places on either side of the river from, to or through which I am likely to ride.  Another is habit:  The Brooklyn Bridge bike lane, which opened a couple of years ago, is better than I expected it to be.  But before it became available, the Williamsburg had widest lanes and easiest access of the East River crossings.

Time was, though, when I avoided the Williamsburg.  When I lived in Park Slope, Brooklyn, the Brooklyn was more convenient.  But the neighborhoods on either side of the Williamsburg were, at the time, rough.  I knew a few people who were attacked and their bicycles stolen.

As if such crimes weren’t intimidating enough, a new wave of attacks—like the one I’m about to mention—is targeting cyclists.

Early this morning, a 62-year-old man was riding through Chicago’s South Loop.  For no apparent reason, someone attacked him with a construction sign. Then the perp beat the man with his bicycle.

While the methods and weapons used vary, one thing that the aforementioned incident has in common with others I’ve heard about recently is that police and reporters have said there was “no apparent motive.” I can’t help but to think, however that the man in Chicago, and other cyclists, are being attacked because they are cyclists.




3 comments:

  1. I don't know enough about what happened in Chicago to make a comment.
    However, in the last few years, I have seen too many cyclists pissing off
    people with their actions. Over half(52% to 54%) of my local cyclists are
    on the sidewalk,crosswalk, or going the wrong way if they are in the road.
    It is risky just being on the sidewalk in our downtown. It is too common
    for cyclists to speed by and almost hitting someone on the sidewalk. Then
    they will dart into the roadway going from one side to the other before jumping
    back on the sidewalk. I even had cyclists get upset with me because I was in
    their way while I was WALKING on the sidewalk.
    I think the main problem is that too many cyclists consider themselves as
    wheeled pedestrians and not vehicles operators.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon—I find that 52 to 54 percent statistic interesting. Did you come up with it yourself or find it somewhere?

    I will not claim that all bicyclists obey the law perfectly. When people complain about “bike riders,” however, I often learn that their negative encounters are often with delivery workers on electric bikes or mini-motorcycles. We often get lumped together, along with scooters.

    By the way, as a pedestrian I have been “buzzed” or worse by the kinds of riders I’ve mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Around Oct 2015 I got tired of reading that cyclists don't obey traffic laws. I wanted to
    see for myself. Every time when I was out and saw a cyclist I would mark down how
    they were doing. However, I kinda rigged it in our favor. First it would only be adults
    (or adult size) as there is no way to expect children to even know traffic laws. I then
    picked something I just "knew" no one would disobey. (Boy, was I surprised!) I would
    only count against them if they did one of the following: 1- ride on the sidewalk, 2-
    cycle in the crosswalk, or 3- ride wrong way in the roadway.
    The first time I saw less then 30 cyclists before the weather got bad.
    I have repeated my little "test" six times in better weather and the numbers were
    about the same. Around 52 to 54 percent acted the way I said. There are two
    things I need to note. 1- I did not count stuff like running a red light or blowing
    a stop sign. 2- I only saw these cyclists for just a few seconds. I have no idea
    how they acted most of their ride.

    This is a small town so most of the e-bike riders are older and many were cyclists
    from years ago who are too old to bike like they did in the1970s and 1980s.
    For them e-bikes are used as a medical device.

    ReplyDelete