04 March 2024

A Conflict In The Mist

 Yesterday’s high temperature (68F or 20C) in NYC broke a record for that date, which was set some time before I was in midlife.




I pedaled to Point Lookout and experienced something I normally encounter a few weeks later. As I crossed the Veterans Memorial Bridge over Jamaica Bay, I felt the temperature drop precipitously. At least, that’s how it seemed. At this time of year, the water temperature of the Bay and ocean is only 4 to 5C (38 to 40F). So the wind was invigorating or brisk, depending on your point of view.




A mist shimmered over the ocean waves at the Rockaways and Point Lookout.  Lovely as it was, I know it was the smoke, if you will, of a conflict between the warm air and cold water, magnified by bright sunlight.




No comments:

Post a Comment