11 September 2010

Contest





I have this stainless steel floral chainguard designed by Toronto-based artist/designer Suzanne Carlsen and made in Canada.  I'd planned to use it on Helene, my new Miss Mercian.  But I couldn't because it wouldn't fit properly with the combination of bottom bracket and chainwheel I installed. 

I thought about hanging the chainguard on my wall.  Instead, I've decided to offer it as a prize in this contest.



So, you ask, what's involved in this contest?  Just three questions.  The first person who answers correctly wins the chainguard.


You probably know about Marcel Duchamp's Bicycle Wheel.  Well, one of Duchamp's contemporaries used two parts of a bicycle to create a sculpture of part of an animal.


So, tell me:  What work am I describing?  Who created it?  And, what bicycle parts were used to make it?


One caveat about the chainguard:   The bracket that mounts the guard to the bottom bracket is included.  However, the clip used to hold the rear of it on the seat- or chain- stay is missing.  It is a common "P"-clamp, which you can find in a bicycle, hardware or boating supply store.

4 comments:

  1. oh gosh, i think i actually know this!

    picasso used a saddle and handlebars to make a bull's head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabe: You got it! Write to me at justineisadream@gmail.com and let me know where you want me to ship the guard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn! I am only five years too late!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coline--I'll have another contest. And I'll write the rules to make sure you win! ;-)

    ReplyDelete