18 October 2012

The Lighthouse Guides Another Ride

There may not be many lighthouses that still guide ships into and through harbours--at least not here in the US.  However, many are all but irrestistible as destinations, or at least landmarks for bike rides.

This one is only a few minutes' ride from my apartment.




It's at the northern end of Roosevelt Island, that sliver of rock between Manhattan and Queens.   It's what I usually envision when I'm pedaling over the bridge to the island, and it's the point at which I feel an escape from the city becomes a meandering, however brief, along the coast.

Ironically, following the lighthouse yesterday may have been one of my last opportunities for an after-work ride in daylight. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm envious. As noted in http://dfwptp.blogspot.com/2011/01/commute-oddity.html (on which Justine V commented), we're rather deprived for lighthouses here in North Texas. Ironically, we purchased some "lighthouse art" just last week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve--Dallas-Fort Worth may have lots of other things going for it. But in its lack of lighthouses, those of you who live there are truly deprived! If I were ridiculously rich, I'd send one or two down that way. Surely there must be a lake or river or something that would make for a suitable setting.

    ReplyDelete