23 July 2013

Dans Le Soleil Couchant

Twice I have been in Paris for the end of the Tour de France.  

Now, I didn't go specifically to see the riders whisk down le Boulevard des Champs-Elysees:  I just happened to be in Paris so, of course, I squeezed my way into as good a viewing position as I could find.  Both times, I felt the effort was more than worthwhile, even though the race's overall winner had already been more or less decided.

Even though Chris Froome had pretty much wrapped up this year's General Classification title before the final stage began, I would have loved to have been in Paris to see this:

From Cycling Art Blog




I witnessed more than a few spectacular sunsets through the Arc de Triomphe:  If one stands at any point on the Champs-Elysees, one has to face west in order to see the Arc.  But I never saw anything quite like the show the sky and the Tour riders offered the other night!

3 comments:

  1. Has there ever been a case where GC positions changed on the final stage of the TdF? I know it's a big day for the sprinters, but figured the GC was pretty locked in by then.

    I did like the dusk finish, this year. I also thought the light show they did on the Arc during the presentations was pretty nifty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ailish--In 1989, Laurent Fignon (who'd won the Tour in 1983 and 1984) held a 50-second lead over Greg LeMond coming into the Tour's final stage, a time trial into Paris. LeMond--who won the Tour in 1986 and would win it again in 1990--won the time trial by 58 seconds, and thus the entire race by eight seconds.

    I believe that was the last time GC positions changed on the final day of the Tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Justine. I had assumed that the last stage was similar to all of the ones I've seen in the last few years. A liesurly ride into the city, a parade around the Champs Elysees, and a bunch sprint at the finish. How very parochial of me. I can certainly see how a time trial or any number of other formats might put the GC into contention, but the final stages of recent years have been yawn-fests, on that front.

    ReplyDelete