22 April 2019

Not Offensive. Really!

In the times and places in which I've lived, saying that something is "completely inoffensive" is not a compliment.  I mean, what would you think if you'd heard it in CBGB back in the day, or during a ride with the sorts of guys who used to add gin to their water bottles?

Anyway, I have used that phrase only rarely (which itself sounds rather unflattering) in my current life.  Most recently, I uttered it when someone asked me what I thought of Taylor Swift.

I am no fan of hers, but I still don't get that so many people hate her, or say they do.  I mean, really, do you hate a marshmallow?  I may not get excited about them, or eat them very often.  But what is there to hate about something that's overly gooey and sweet?

Anyway, I may have to say something slightly more complimentary about her. (If I actually start listening to her music, check my vital signs!)  What I never knew, until the other day, is that her preferred mode of transportation is cycling.

And she posted this on Instagram:



It's not offensive at all.  Which is not the same as "completely inoffensive."


2 comments:

  1. As someone who lived through the first 3 waves of punk rock and enjoyed them all I would have to say Ms Swift's music is bland as cream of wheat and excessively fixated on boy/girl problems. Still since I don't want to be a hater and I don't actually have to listen to her music so I'm inclined to give her a big pass for riding a bike. Besides that front rack is pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phillip--I am an old punk-rocker, too, and I agree with you on all counts. That rack might actually be the coolest thing about Ms. Swift.

    ReplyDelete