07 January 2020

Deconstruct This

I don’t spend a lot of time in hipster restaurant.  So when I read some of their menus I am, frankly, baffled.

To wit, I see words that I would never associate with food,
whether in preparing, presenting or eating it.  For example, on one menu, I saw a “deconstructed cheesscake.” Now, perhaps I’m not ironic (or something) enough, but I would think that the act of creating a comestible or serving it has more to do with construction than deconstructed.  So, if I order a “deconstructed cheesecake,” will the server bring me cream cheese, ricotta, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, graham crackers (uncrumbled, of course) and cherries or blueberries?  

Oh, wait, that  server couldn’t bring me graham crackers: He or she would have to bring the ingredients.  No ricotta or cream cheese, either: only the milk, rennet and cultures.

If I were to go to a hipster bike shop, would they try to sell me a deconstructed bike?

15
bike-breakdown.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment