31 January 2021

Never Changing Their Stripes

Zebrakenko bicycles first appeared in the US during the mid-1970s, just past the Bike Boom's peak.

Like many other Japanese bikes of that era, their lugwork and paint were clean, and they came with good, high-value components from the likes of SunTour, Shimano, Sugino and Sakae Ringyo (SR).  

Somewhere along the way--I am guessing in the early or mid-1980s, the name was shortened to "Zebra."  It was, I reckon, an attempt to evoke the animal's agility, as I don't recall any of their bikes painted with black and white stripes.

Or, perhaps, whoever rebranded the bikes had this in mind:




2 comments:

  1. How funny! I can't imagine a zebra riding a bicycle. They would be very cool if they were actually painted in stripes though.

    Bethany
    http://happilyloco.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethany-I agree. I've seen bikes painted with zebra stripes, but to my knowledge, they were not original or stock paint jobs.

    ReplyDelete