01 November 2022

If We Ride, We're Not Dead

 Today is Dia de los Muertos--the Day of the Dead.  Actually, it's the first of two Dias de los Muertos. Like most Americans, I assumed it was simply today, the day after Halloween, which I knew as "All Saints' Day" when I was growing up.  But, as it turns out, today's commemoration is for deceased children; tomorrow is for departed adults.

As a kid, I always thought it was weird to have a solemn "All Saints' Day"--when we were supposed to attend Mass (I served, as an altar boy, in two ASD masses)--the day after Trick or Treating. Perhaps that was a way of inculcating us with Catholic Guilt (TM): You pay for pleasure with pain, or at least drudgery.

Interestingly, Dia de los Muertos, at least as it's celebrated in Mexico and Mexican immigrant communities, bears more resemblance to our Halloween than to a somber church holiday.  Notice that I used the word "celebrated."  That's exactly the point of the costumes and festivities: to celebrate the lives of the departed.

I know that there are organized bike rides with cyclists in costume. I can't go to one of those, but I will ride later today with some old riding buddies.


  



Yes, they're old bike riders. Me, I'm Midlife Cycling! I go wherever the journey takes me.



(Photos taken at Fort Totten, 30 October 20222)

No comments:

Post a Comment