24 June 2010

Velouria Gets Fixed Up

"Velouria," whose wonderful writing and photography graces her "Lovely Bicycle!" blog, has given new meaning to "Be careful of what you wish for."

She has written about her "attraction to beautiful track bikes" and "wistfulness for the velodrome," which she had dismissed as "ludicrous."

Well, I warned her....If we dismiss or resist something long enough, we'll take to it, or it will take us!  (Trust me, I know that as well as anybody can.) So I exhorted her to "go for it."  And, I made a deal:  My spirit would guide her if she promised to bring back one of those beautiful dress guards she always seems to find when she's in Vienna.

Yesterday she took her first ride on a track bike--yes, in Vienna!  And, from what she says, she enjoyed the experience.




I can just see it now:  Velouria on the velodrome in Vienna!


Could this be her future?:




Congratulations, Velouria.  And you owe me a dress guard! ;-)

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the write-up Justine!
    And I can only hope "that" can be my future - she looks fantastic. (Who is that on the picture, do you know?) Of course in my fantasy I'm riding a lugged steel bicycle : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is Rebecca Twigg. In my next life, I want to be a cross between her and Angelina Jolie--though Rebecca always seems to look good on, or off, a bike!

    She was a very successful track racer who won six Olympic gold medals and a bunch of other awards and races. She's attempting a comeback, and I wish her (and you, of course) all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angelina Jolie is not my cup of tea - This might sound odd, but there is something exaggerated in the cuteness of her features that disgusts me. Cloe Sevigny, Uma Thurman, and the late Marlene Dietrich are more my type. That Rebecca Twigg (thanks for the info) photo though! - for an athlete she has a stunning waste to hip ratio. That's got to be one of the best contemporary female athlete photos I have seen. Just really wish she was on a different bike!

    ReplyDelete