10 August 2010

The Development of Miss Mercian

The new bike is coming along.  Today I went to Bicycle Habitat because they didn’t have any more one-inch headset spacers.  I had a few in my parts box.  From them, Hal was able to set the stem up to a good height.

Tomorrow I’m going back for to set the seat and handlebar positions, and Hal will tune up whatever else needs it.



The only disappointment so far is that the chainguard I wanted to use won’t work.  It’s beautiful…but, alas! 


(The above photo is from a February posting of Lovely Bicycle.) 

I guess I’ll be selling that chainguard, or trading it for something.  But everything else looks great, so far.  I might just do without a chainguard because the only truly effective kind is a full chaincase, which can’t be used with a derailleur.

Other shop employees and customers were admiring the bike.  When they found out that it’s mine, they all said, “Lucky you!” or words to that effect.

I rode the LeTour to Habitat, mainly because I didn’t want to change out of the sundress I’d been wearing.  It fell to my calves and isn’t tight.  But, surprisingly, I had more difficulty mounting and riding the LeTour, which has a mixte frame, than I had in riding on my diamond-framed fixed gear bike in a skirt and boots when the weather was colder.  Then again, the skirt was  shorter than the dress and, I think, flared a bit more than the dress does.  Plus, while the material in the dress is thin, it doesn’t have any stretch or “give.”   So I have to "hike" it to mount even the Le Tour.

The dress is a green print.  I have a feeling it will look better on the Miss Mercian, anyway. ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Wow, the Mercian! That is coming along nicely! I think our builds will be finished around the same time, so maybe we ought to have some sort of party : )

    Sorry that the chainguard did not work, and I wonder why. You have no front derailleur on that bike IIRC, so I am surprised.

    You have an interesting mix of classic & modern components on all of your bikes, I have noticed - like the Porteur bars and threadless stem combo here. I have always wondered what drives your preferences for each.

    My Royal H mixte will have Porteur bars as well, though with a quill stem. I have no idea to determine what length stem to get with these bars - how did you decide?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A party! I love it!

    Actually, I could've used the chainguard. But it mounts on the bottom bracket. Hal tells me that bottom brackets don't remain tight when such a chainguard is installed. The crank and bottom bracket fall out of the bike and strip the threads--and sometimes do other damage, to the bike and rider! I don't want to wreck a nice frame because of a recalcitrant chainguard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Velouria: To my knowledge, there's no formula for determining stem length. The only real rule is to get whatever length will allow you to do the kind of riding you want to do in comfort. And remember that a longer stem will give you more sensitive steering, while a shorter one will make your steering more stable.

    I tend to like frames with shorter top tubes and longish stems, as my torso is relatively short for someone of my height. Before I started getting my bikes custom-built, I would end up with bikes that were too small (and seemed to have three feet of seatpost protruding from the frame) so that I could get the shorter top tube. Or I would get a frame in the correct size, but would ride small stems because the top tubes were long. Shorter stems make steering more sluggish (but more stable, which isn't what I wanted on a road bike.

    Will your Royal H be assembled by Royal H, Harris Cyclery or some other shop? If so, they'll let you try different stem lengths to decide which is best for you. If Co-Hab is doing it for you, see whether he can borrow some a few stems or find some cheaply.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "And remember that a longer stem will give you more sensitive steering, while a shorter one will make your steering more stable."

    Aaaaah. I did not know that!

    We are assembling the Royal H ourselves - except for the wheels, which are being built by Peter White.

    ReplyDelete