10 December 2012

Beauty Among The Ruins

OK, boys and girls, I'm going to give you one more kind-of-sad (or, at least, melancholy) posting.  Then I'll try to stick to happy topics, as this is the holiday season.

Anyway, six weeks after Hurricane Sandy, it seems that I see more and more of its aftermath everywhere I turn--especially when I get on a bike.  Here is what used to be nicknamed "Barretto Beach":



This postage stamp-sized piece of Barretto Point Park has sunbathers and picknickers on it when the weather is warm, and people fishing from it at other times.  It's usually full of sand and is clear of rocks and other debris, if not litter.  And, before the storm, this plot was about twice the size it is now.

It is closed off.  So is the pier at the other end of the park, and the barge that houses a swimming pool.  As much devastation as I saw, I was surprised, frankly, not to see more.  

Here is another part of the park that was eroded:


I guess the '60's Schwinn Collegiate didn't want me to look at it for too long.  You never know what kind of effect such things can have on a young sensibility like mine, you know.

At least Randall's Island, through which I ride to get to Barretto, didn't seem quite as badly damaged--or, at least, more of it has been fixed up.  Here is a shot of one of the island's native plant gardens:


I found the color change on this tree particularly interesting:


Usually, I assume that trees with needles rather than leaves are evergreens.  Apparently, this is some sort of deciduous tree with needles.  Whatever it is, I love the effect of its color change.

Well...I guess this wasn't such a depressing post after all!

4 comments:

  1. Regarding that last tree. Without being able to see the number of needles per cluster it is hard to tell what kind of pine tree it is.

    Nonetheless, it appears to have what is called 'pine wilt' which is fatal to the tree and is typically transmitted via beetles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only member of the conifers I know of that loses its leaves in the fall is the larch. That does not look like a larch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Besides the Larch, Dawn Redwoods also lose their needles as well.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawn_redwood

      As well as "pseudo larches":
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudolarix

      And these:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyptostrobus

      And, of course, Bald Cypress:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxodium_distichum

      Delete
  3. Anon, Steve and Adventure!--Thanks. An arborealist I'm not, so your comments were both interesting and helpful.

    ReplyDelete