16 July 2010

Air Conditioning

After riding, however briefly, on a hot day, it's refreshing or jarring or both to go into an air-conditioned space.


It's really odd when that air-conditioned space is a bicycle shop.  You see those shiny, new bicycles and they betray nary a hint of the sweaty cyclists who might be astride them one day.  Even the mustard-yellow Salsa and the cruiser in the color of moss look nearly as fluorescent as the store's lighting in the chilled air.


At least, when I ride to work, I am ready for the chill I will feel upon entering the building.  I teach in one of those places where they seem to turn on the air conditioning in June and leave it on, full-blast, until September.  Mark Twain once joked that the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.  A summer class in the college where I teach might've changed his mind.


Yesterday, I had both of the experiences I've just described.  I took midday ride on Tosca, my fixie, down to Battery Park.  On the way back, I stopped at Bicycle Habitat to pick up a wheel Hal built for me. This wheel has a Phil Wood front track hub, a black Mavic Open Pro rim and DT spokes. It's on the front of Tosca, which previously had a road front wheel and has a rear wheel with the same rim and spokes and a Phil Wood "flip-flop" hub with a fixed gear on one side and a freewheel (which I have yet to use) on the other side.


Then, I rode the LeTour to my class.   In between, I changed clothes:  I was wearing a pair of shorts and a T-shirt for my early ride.  When I rode to class,  I wore knee-length skirt and sleeveless top that's part of a twinset . When I got to the college, I put on the cardigan from the twinset.  I find that when I feel cold, I tend to feel it more around my shoulders and chest.  I felt comfortable and rather liked the little bit of chill I felt around my legs:  It's the next best thing to a breeze by the ocean.


Back when I was Professor Nick, I didn't think as much about how I was dressed when I taught.  When I taught evening classes during the summer, as I'm teaching now, I sometimes came to class in the shorts and T-shirt I wore when I rode in.  No one seemed to mind, and since neither my department chair nor any of the administrators were there in the evening, I don't think any of them knew.  If anyone complained, I probably would have heard about it.


I never rode to class in lycra.


Although there are no official dress codes at the college, I don't think I could get away with teaching in shorts and a T-shirt, much less lycra, now.  Then again, I wouldn't do it: As Professor Justine (or simply Justine),  I am more conscious of how I dress and otherwise present myself.  Some of that may simply have to do with getting older and perhaps, in some way, more conservative.  Some of the more radical feminists and queer theorists might say that I'm taking on society's feminine gender role, or some such thing. 


But I digress.  Bicycling and air conditioning seem like the opposite poles of a summer's day.  Or are they?



Hmm....If I hook up my helmet with an air conditioner, does that violate the manufacturer's warranty?  Will it be safe if I ever decide to try to break some motor-paced speed record?



4 comments:

  1. 92 degrees the day before yesterday. That's warm, but the dew point was 81, heat index 104, about what your frickin actual temperature was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all take more interest and care in how we dress when we feel it is an expression of who we are - a quiet, everyday creative statement to the world. It's lovely you can now enjoy that. I guess in the past the 'real you' was not able to be as readily expressed. Yay, for twin-sets and sod the queer theory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies


    1. One of the industry’s most efficient air conditioners.
      Built to stand up to the elements and deliver reliable cooling,
      even on the hottest day of the year,
      and lowering your cooling costs at the same time.



      air conditionin
      air conditioner
      ac air conditioning
      furnace
      hvac

      Delete
  3. Since I don't understand a word of Arabic, here is a Google translation of Almostakbl company's comment:

    Cleaning air conditioners in Riyadh

    The air conditioning system has always been one of the most important factors that provide assistance and assistance to the human being as it is supported to withstand the fluctuations of the atmosphere whether high temperature or low temperature, and that the well-being of man depends heavily on air conditioners and all depends on the condition of your air conditioner where it is due Always maintain and clean the air conditioner air conditioner, its performance depends heavily on it since it is possible with non-maintenance and cleaning regularly that lead to its breakdown and collapse completely, here are some important tips on how to care for your air ...

    Cleaning of air conditioners

    - If you live in an area close to the industrial areas, you should pay great attention to cleaning the air conditioners continuously and at intervals closer than any other residential area, you should always use air conditioning cleaning in Riyadh

    To do the maintenance and cleaning routine on your behalf, or if you have enough experience so it is possible to do maintenance yourself otherwise may be the case of the air conditioner you have to the test, you always need to clean the air conditioners in Riyadh.

    Air Conditioning Cleaning Company

    If you are a fan of pet owners such as cats, dogs or other pets, this is one of the most important reasons why you should take good care of the cleanliness of the air conditioners in Riyadh permanently and continuously, the fur produced by these animals is always combined with the dust particles that block and block the openings Freon filters and gas inside the air conditioner, which may lead to time to damage the air conditioner Thus, the company cleaning air conditioners in Riyadh is one of the main factors that always keep the life of your air conditioner

    ReplyDelete