10 December 2020

Finding The Cream Of Bike Routes

 Three years ago, a man pedaled into the Lincoln Tunnel, a violation of Port Authority regulations.  So why did he wander into that 2.5 km-long tube under the Hudson?  The route was suggested on a phone app. 

Even if it weren't prohibited, I wouldn't cycle in the Tunnel--unless, perhaps, it were closed to traffic. On a scale from 1 to 4, with 4 being the most stressful, I think the fumes and claustrophobic space would make it a four-plus on a new interactive bike map.

The City of Milwaukee Department of Public Works has just developed such a map for the Cream City. It can be accessed from a computer or mobile device and rates each street from low (1) to high (4) stress, based on factors such as how many people drive on it and whether or not it has a bike lane.  Riders can use the map to plot a route that includes as many low-stress streets as possible.

You can access the map here.


From the Milwaukee Sentinel-Journal


2 comments:

  1. I would think the Lincoln Tunnel would make a stressful ride even IF the tunnel were closed to motor traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve--I think your perception is accurate. I might enter the tunnel under such conditions--but I'd do a meditation or something first.

    The one longish tunnel I've ridden was in the French Alps. It was about half a kilometer long. I rode it because the other roads I could have used were blocked by landslides. And there was a power outage, so that tunnel was dark. However, the drivers insisted that I ride in front of them, in the wake of their headlights. (Can you imagine that at the LT?)

    ReplyDelete