25 May 2021

Why George Floyd And Tulsa Matter For Cyclists

There's just something about this date, 25 May.

Around this time, I believe, Spring starts to tilt toward Summer, at least in the temperate parts of the Northern Hemisphere.  Every few years, Memorial Day falls on this date, as it did last year.  It's the birthday of Lucy, of the eponymous novel by Jamaica Kincaid.  In 1787, the US Constitutional Convention convened in Philadelphia; Argentina's revolt against Spanish rule began in 1810.  And, interestingly, on this date in 1961, President John F. Kennedy challenged his country to land a man on the  moon before the end of the decade; exactly 16 years later, one of the most popular movie franchises in history--Star Wars--premiered.

And, one year ago today, enough happened that, if Stephen Dedalus of The Portrait of An Artist As A Young Man had witnessed it, he'd have to repeat his assertion that history is a nightmare from which he was trying to awake.

Amy Cooper, a.k.a.  Central Park Karen, falsely accused a black man of threatening her and her dog.  Fortunately, the man--Christian Cooper, no relation--captured the event on his phone.  Still, in February, a judge dismissed the charges against her after she completed five therapy sessions "designed for introspection and progress," according to the Assistant District Attorney.

Not surprisingly, that incident was overshadowed by the murder of George Floyd.  That, at least, has brought issues of policing in "minority" communities (in which I include not only non-white people, but those of us who aren't cisgender or heterosexual, or don't otherwise fit into societal standards of gender and sexuality) to the forefront.  

Those incidents, I believe, are relevant to us as cyclists because in too many places, at least here in the US, incidents in which motorists run down cyclists aren't taken seriously. The driver, even if he or she is impaired, distracted or should not have been driving for some other reason, gets off with a "slap on the wrist" and the cyclist is blamed for his or her injury or death.

Oh, while I'm on the subject of relations between non-majority or non-mainstream communities and those who police or rule them, I want to call attention to another incident that occured on the traditional Memorial Day--31 May (next Monday).  Exactly a century ago, on that date, one of the worst incidents of racial violence and mass murder took place in Tulsa, Oklahoma.  A black shoeshine "boy" rode an elevator with a white woman.  I think you can guess what happened next:  the "black ram is tupping the white ewe" rumors began.  They led to confrontations in which  the city's police chief deputized white mobs and commandeering gun shops to arm them--and private planes to drop bombs on the Greenwood district, then known as "Black Wall Street."

Like most other people, I learned about the incident, in which the district was wiped off the face of the earth, by accident, when I was researching something else.  I was, to say, the least, astounded--but not surprised--that the Tulsa Massacre has been omitted from history books. (Victor Imperatus, anyone?)  My shock led me to write an article about it nearly five years ago.  

I mention that incident, and the George Floyd murder because, although one is being brought to light (because of its centenary) and the other resulted in the conviction of a police officer, we as cyclists still need to be wary of increasingly-militarized police forces who still, in too many cases, harass, ticket and even arrest cyclists on specious or simply phony charges  (as happened recently in Perth Amboy, New Jersey) -- and the power structures that give rogue officers more credibility than those they victimize.  


2 comments:

  1. Hi there, I was commuting from bicycle in Sept 2016 and a Closter Police Officer. Officer Ruiz, pulled me over and held me at gun point. I was wearing a plaid short sleeve shirt, and he confused me for a bank robber (Chase bank in Norwood) who was wearing a long sleeve red plaid shirt. He kind of missed the point that I am 5 foot 6 inches tall while the robber was described by the bank workers as at least 6 foot 3 inches tall. He preceded to go through my bag (I was reading Thermal Analysis of Pharmaceuticals at the time) and then called back up. Five additional Norwood police officers showed up, each driving his own vehicle. So now I am surrounded by 6 police officers. Ruiz is shouting at me to admit my crime. (Know that I had no idea what was going on.. I was pointing out that I have the required bell, tail light and headlight and I was wearing a reflective vest for safety.) When they asked my name, I said I was Dr. Jason LePree who worked for a local company. One of the police officers then started to walk around strutting and saying, "Oh, Dr. LePree, Dr. LePree!" Finally after 20 minutes they let me go. Not one apologized for the mix up. I wrote the Chief of Police of Closter, NJ saying that I was delighted I was not shot or beaten, though I wish that it had not taken 6 police officers to subdue me. I received no reply back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay—I took a few days to reply because iI had to re-read your story several times. I’m not sure of whether the cops were incompetent, biased or simply dishonest. First of all, in my admittedly limited understanding of procedures, they should have at least told you why they stopped you instead of trying to badger a “confession “ out of you. And…how could they have mistaken you for someone nine inches taller? Finally, why did they need six men to “subdue” a small unarmed cyclist?

    I think now of times when I was stopped for no reason: The cops, I think, were on “fishing “ expeditions and, as a lone cyclist, I was the easiest target.
    What really scares me is that cops have become more militarized and less accountable.

    ReplyDelete