26 January 2015

Plowing Through The Snow On A Bike--Sort Of

Well, it's official:  The northeastern USA--which, of course, includes the home of yours truly--is about to get hit with an "historic" blizzard.  

Being the New Yorker that I am, I greet such forecasts with an attitude (if that isn't a New York thing, I don't know what is) of "Oh, yeah?  I'll believe it when I see it."  Yes, even after Superstorm Sandy, I still react that way.

But I'm becoming more inclined to believe the forecast.  The flurries that started fluttering down early this morning are growing thicker and heavier, and the wind is blowing them around.  Maybe we really will get the kind of storm that usually strikes only in places like Buffalo. 

Whenever a winter storm is on its way, I think about ways of attaching a snow plow to the front of a bike.  I think the connection is the most difficult problem: It would need to be strong enough yet not burdensomely heavy.  After that, it would just be a matter of finding the right gear ratio.

I've never acted on the idea because, well, I think about it only when a big snowstorm comes along.  I mean, who thinks about snowplows in the summer?  All right, engineers and people who work in public safety might.  And I am not either.

Apparently, someone thought about my idea for even longer than I ever did--and acted on it.  Bob Beechy took an adult tricycle and rigged up the plow with various used bike parts, plastic pipe and "other miscellaneous pieces".  

 

2 comments:

  1. My goodness, even the cities around North Texas rarely have more than a token snow plow population.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A token snow plow population?" Does that get North Texas cities in trouble over Affirmative Action laws? ;-)

    ReplyDelete