19 March 2012

Portraits of New York Cyclists

From Amsterdamize


I've just stumbled across another bike site I like:  #BikeNYC.

It's photographer Dmitry Gudkov's series of portraits and profiles of New Yorkers who ride bicycles to work or simply to get around. 

Included is a portrait of what I'd like to look like, on and with my bike, in my next life.  And there are lots of images of attractive, stylish people who ride. But Gudokov's photos aren't just "fashion shoots" with bikes as props.  His subjects work in diverse fields (lawyers, janitors and everything in between) and live in a variety of neighborhoods throughout the five boroughs.  One of my favorites is a guy named "Jamaica," who lives in the eponymous neighborhood in Queens.  I think I've seen him; I work not very far from where he lives.

I haven't replicated any of Gudkov's phots here; he doesn't allow anyone to copy and paste them.  Given that he is a photographer, I can understand his wish (and, possibly, need) to do so.  So I'll just encourage you to visit his site. While you're there, check out this portrait of Hal, the longtime mechanic of Bicycle Habitat.  He's the one who turned me on to Mercians, and who built the wheels for the ones I ride.

3 comments:

  1. I bought my first mountain bike from a shop in New Haven almost 30 years ago. riding that mountain bike was a life changing experience. I've come seen Hal in a few places online in the past year or so. Its nice to see an old, familiar cycling face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justine,
    Thanks so much for your comment on my blog and for this post! I'm really happy the #BikeNYC portraits resonate with you.

    If you'd like to post any of my photos, please feel free! You can grab them from this facebook gallery: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.434351074059.228040.189729459059&type=3

    Happy riding,
    Dmitry

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of the gears are contained inside the rear hub, making shifting smooth and easyHermosa Beach.
    beach bikes

    ReplyDelete