09 May 2012

The Original Bike Luggage?

I was looking through some of the photos I took at the New Amsterdam Bike Show.  One of them got me to reminiscing.



Brooklyn Cruiser bicycle

There was a time in my life when milk crates served as furniture, storage units, shelving--and bicycle luggage.



Milk crates have been attached to rear racks with zip ties, hose clamps, rope, bungee cords and old inner tubes.  When I had a milk crate on my town/commuter bike, more years ago than I'll admit, I attached it with toe straps.




You can even use a milk crate to turn your bike into a tandem.  Why didn't I think of that?


Whenever I see of milk crates, I think of Lego blocks.  They are structured, and fit together, in much the same way,and come in the same colors.  They are fun--and practical.



Remember:  Milk crates are your friends!

2 comments: