17 September 2012

A Ride In Two Seasons

I know that Fall "officially" begins on Saturday, the 22nd.  However, I think I saw some signs of when I rode out to the Canarsie Pier late this afternoon:


On some of the trees, the tips of the leaves are turning brown:


And, on others, entire leaves have turned:



A few leaves have already fallen to the ground.

I used to look forward to the fall:  I always enjoyed riding in the cool, crisp air.  Although it was a bit warm for a fall day (about 26C), the air felt autumnal because brisk breezes from the sea swept over the streets.  Somehow, this day, which straddled summer and fall, made me a bit sad.  For one thing, the days are growing noticeably shorter.  And three seasons have passed; a year is passing.  

All right...I'll make this lighter, and bring it back to cycling. Here's a sign for which I wouldn't dare not to stop!:




2 comments:

  1. One way to avoid the sad side of Fall is to participate in the Third Annual Rantwick Autumn Tree Smackdown! I cordially invite you to enter this AWESOME contest...

    ReplyDelete
  2. RANTWICK--It sounds really cool. I'll keep my eyes opening for "majestic" trees!

    ReplyDelete