17 March 2016

St. Patrick's Day. What Do You Wear? What Do You Ride? What Do You Drink?

This has been one of the warmest winters on record.  (It seems that we've been hearing that every other year for the past twenty or so!)  So, not surprisingly, we're having a warm St. Patrick's Day.  The last time I checked, the temperature had risen to 13C (65F) and was predicted to go higher. 

There is a "possibility" of rain, according to the forecast.  Still, I think I'm going for a ride, however brief, after work.

What does one wear on a St. Patrick's Day ride?  This, perhaps?:





You can get that jersey from AeroTech Designs.   Maybe you'll wear it on next year's St. Patrick's Day ride, along with this cap:




Then again, if you're like me, you don't buy cycling-specific clothing.  Maybe you'll get decked out like one of these folks:




Since the weather is warm (at least in this part of the world), perhaps something like this is in order:


From Eleanor's



or if you are in one of those places where this day's weather reminds you that Spring hasn't officially arrived yet, you might think of this:


From Eleanor's


or this:


From LJ World



Maybe you like to ride in tweed, or something that looks like it:


From Meetzorp



Then there is the question of what to ride.  This certainly is lovely:


 
Freddie Grubb track bike.  Photos from Megadeluxe
 

and, really, no less practical than this:

1953 Schwinn Debutante.  Photo from Meetzorp



As for me, I'll probably do my St. Patrick's Day ride on this:




All right. So the bike is English.  So are most of the bikes that have ever been ridden in Ireland.  So, for that matter was St. Paddy himself.

And how many of you are drinking Bass ale* today?

*=I'm not referring to Budweiser beer sold under the Bass name.

6 comments:

  1. That older "Miss" is a real head turner. I have wondered long and hard about why she looks so much nicer than her newer sister...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you mean my older (green) Miss Mercian? If so, I think it has to do with the twin lateral top tubes and its overall shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, they are very proud of hand cutting lugs for that single sloped tube but it lacks the grace of the older Miss's twin tubes. Other makers still seem to find those tubes, such a shame...

      Delete
    2. I think that Reynolds doesn't make those tubes anymore. Other makers are probably getting those tubes from other makers.

      Delete
  3. So THATS what happened to Bass ale! It's always been a favorite of mine. Lately I've noticed it tasting slightly different -- thought maybe it was just me. Then I noticed "made in the USA" in small print on the label. What a disappointment. I love how that article you linked mentions how InBev wants to alter the recipe for new taste experiences to appeal to the American market, Lime-a-Rita Bass, here we come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooks--"Lime-a-Rita Bass." That reminds me of the image someone came up with for the ideal American food: dietetic chocolate-dipped raspberry mousse enchilada. Or something like that.

    Over the past few years, a number of foreign beer brands have come to be brewed in the US. Michelob was one of the first. Now Beck's, Foster's and some Molson products are brewed here in this country by the big corporate beer makers.

    It's ironic, in a way: When I was young (Believe it or not, I once was!), almost any foreign beer was better than almost any American beer. Now "craft" beers are changing that perception. But those foreign brands, instead of aligning themselves with the craft brewers, are allowing themselves to be polluted by all of the worst things in corporate American suds.

    ReplyDelete