05 December 2016

Pretzels, Tacos And Pringles

Pretzel. Taco. Pringle.

What do they have in common?

They're all foods, of course. While most people wouldn't call them "health" or even "healthy" foods, tacos can at least be made to have nutritional value, and pretzels don't have to be white flour concoctions that merely serve as conveyances for salt.  Now, as to whether Pringles can be made so that they have even the pretense of not being unhealthy, I don't know.

So what else do the pretzel, taco and Pringle have in common?  Well, all have been used as descriptors for something that can ruin any cyclist's day.

WheelTaco
From The Taco Cleanse

When I first caught "cycling fever" four decades ago, a wheel that was bent and twisted into shapes that even David Smith couldn't have fashioned was said to have been "pretzeled".  (I'm not sure of whether it's spelled with one or two "l"'s. )  The term was even used in print:  I recall seeing it in cycling magazines and books published around that time.


Image result for pretzels
From That's What She Said 

Also around that time, the term "pretzel logic" was often used, perhaps inspired by the popular Steely Dan song:





I still hear that term from time to time.  I can't recall, however, the last time I heard of a "pretzeled" wheel.  Somewhere along the way, that expression gave way to another phrase beginning with an ersatz past-participle adjective (Now why didn't I name my band "The Ersatz Adjectives"?  It couldn't have been any worse than "The Past Participles"?).  You may still be using it:  Taco'ed. 

Image result for tacoed wheel
From Instructables

It's the term I'm still using.  In fact, in a comment on a "Retrogrouch" post, I mentioned that a wheel I rode briefly "spontaneously tacoed" when I was riding one day.  


Image result for tacos
From Iowa Girl Eats.

Until that day, I didn't know that the Fiamme Ergal rims were prone to crack around the spoke holes--on the inner part of the rim, where the tire is mounted (and glued).   More important, I didn't know that mine were deteriorating in the same way until I inspected the wheel after it folded itself under me.  I soon learned that other cyclists who rode Ergals--which, to this day, remain among the lightest tubular rims ever produced--had similar experiences.  At least I could reassure myself the fate of my rim had nothing to do with my wheelbuilding skills, such as they were. Or from eating too many tacos.  Or pretzels.


Image result for Pringles
From Urban Legends

Or Pringles.  Actually, I haven't eaten many Pringles:  I never really cared for them.  Somehow, though, they seem to be displacing tacos in the lexicon for wheels collapsed beyond all hope of repair.  While it works visually, I think the sounds of "taco" and "pretzel" are more effective at conveying the wreckage.

Isn't it interesting that collapsed wheels are described with food metaphors?  To my knowledge, no other bike-related malady is depicted that way.  I wonder why.

12 comments:

  1. i kinda like "pringled." It sounds to my ears a fitting companion word to "pranged" -a term,IIRC, from the RAF for "crashed" as in "pranged my kite." But i digress...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sheltered life I must lead, those edible products are alien to me as is the wheel shape for nearly a half century.

    I had a wheel spontaneously buckle on my first ride on the first new bike I was ever able to buy. Ten miles of so and the rear just changed shape! I found a phone box, red of course, and called the shop who picked us up.

    I have followed someone who rode over a drain cover with slots in direction of travel, now that did "buckle" their wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike--Digress all you like. Pringled, prangled...sounds like the beginning of a jingle.

    Coline--One of my pet peeves is those drain covers with slots in the direction of travel. Sometimes I think they were designed by someone who hates cyclists!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good morning, do I have your permission to copy the top photo of the pringled wheel?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello RTG—I got permission from Taco Cleanse (http://tacocleanse.com/one-taco-you-dont-want-the-bicycle-taco/). You might want to contact them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this usefull article, waiting for this article like this again. carbon wheels

    ReplyDelete

  7. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information..carbon fiber road bicycle wheels

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems that the internet is very much interested in creating a fiction-based story like a Slender Man and other repeated ghost stories. Among all those false stories Teresa fidalgo ghost is one of them that gets hyped on the internet in a different way. I recommend this article for detailed information.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great and informative. If you wanted to know about what is National Son Day and how is celebrated in different countries. National Son Day is celebrated around the globe to cherish its existence. Every year the parents encourage their sons to cope with the challenges of life earnestly. This day is not only celebrated for the sons but also for hailing those who are upbringing them.

    ReplyDelete

  10. Wow, amazing block structure! , how long
    Have you written a blog before? Working on a blog seems easy.
    The overview of your website is pretty good, not to mention what it does.
    In the content!
    AnyMP4 Blu-ray Player Crack
    Pretzel Crack
    WriteMapper Crack
    Tipard Blu-ray Player Crack
    Bitdefender Total Security Crack

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great set of tips from the master himself. Excellent ideas. Anyone wishing to take their blogging forward must read these tips. Thank you
    crackwhole.com
    Hard Disk Sentinel Pro
    Tipard Blu-ray Player
    Adobe Fresco
    EndNote
    Sejda PDF Desktop

    ReplyDelete



  12. Wow, amazing block structure! How long
    Have you written a blog before? Working on a blog seems easy.
    The overview of your website is pretty good, not to mention what it does.
    In the content!
    I like your all post. You have done really good work. Thank you for the information you provide, it helped me a lot.I hope to have many more entries or so from you.
    ConvertXtoDVD Crack
    Solid Automator Crack
    Perfectly Clear WorkBench Crack
    gSyncit Crack
    SparkoCam Crack

    ReplyDelete