19 November 2017

Working In Mysterious Ways

If you have ever read Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, you might recall this:

Miss Watson she took me in the closet and prayed, but nothing come of it. She told me to pray every day, and whatever I asked for I would get it. But it warn't so. I tried it. Once I got a fish-line, but no hooks. It warn't any good to me without hooks. I tried for the hooks three or four times, but somehow I couldn't make it work. By and by, one day, I asked Miss Watson to try for me, but she said I was a fool. She never told me why, and I couldn't make it out no way.

Now, if Twain had been writing a century and a half later, Huck might have said something like this:


4 comments:

  1. Easier to get forgiveness than permission.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike--That's one of the first things you learn when you work in, or with, a bureaucracy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wouldn't be Trump as he would never ask forgiveness, for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill--Trump once said that his early mentor Roy Cohn told him never to forgive and never to apologize.

    Couldn't have had a better role model, could he?

    ReplyDelete