23 March 2018

All About Dee-Lilah

I'm waiting for the snow and ice to clear so I can take Dee-Lilah, my new Mercian Vincitore Special, out for another ride.  I'd also like the chance to take newly-painted Tosca, my Mercian fixed-gear out for a spin.

Meantime, though, I'll tell you a bit about Dee-Lilah.




She's made of Reynolds 853 tubing.  The geometry is just slightly different from that of Arielle, my Mercian Audax.  Both frames have 55.5 cm seat tubes and 53.5 cm top tubes.  But while Arielle has a very traditional sport-touring design of parallel 73 degree angles at the head and seat tubes, Dee-Lilah has a slightly steeper seat angle, at 74 degrees, and a slightly shallower head tube angle of 72.  This allows for the response I like in the rear combined with a bit more comfort in front. Also, it will make for better handling when I start using a bag on the front rack. 


If Arielle felt like a magic carpet, Dee-Lilah feels like a cloud with jet propulsion. I know, I've only ridden Dee-Lilah twice for a total of just under 100 miles.  But I definitely feel differences, however subtle, between her and my other Mercians.  And they are subtle differences I wanted when I ordered the frame.

Anyway, here is how Dee-Lilah is kitted out:


Wheels:  
  • Phil Wood hubs, 36 hole rear, 32 hole front
  • Mavic Open Pro Rims, Velox rim tape
  • DT Competition Spokes, 14/15 ga.
  • Continental Grand Prix 4 Season tires, 700X28


Drivetrain:  

  •   Sugino Alpina Cranks, 110 BCD, 170mm length
  •  Specialties TA Syrius chaninrings, 48/36
  •  Phil Wood square-axle bottom bracket, 108 mm
  •  SRAM PC-991 chain
  •  Shimano Ultegra 9 speed cassette, 12-25
  •  Shimano Dura-Ace rear derailleur, w/sealed pulleys
  •  Shimano Dura-Ace front derailleur
  •  Shimano Dura-Ace downtube shift levers
  •  MKS Urban Platform pedals w/MKS "basket" toe clips and Velo Orange Grand Cru straps
Steering:
  • Nitto Mod. 177 "Noodle" handlebars, 42 cm 
  • Nitto NP (Pearl) stem, 11 cm
  • Chris King 2Nut headset
Braking:
  • Shimano R650 brakes w/Mathauser-Kool Stop salmon pads
  • Cane Creek SCR-5 levers
Seating:
  • Brooks Team Professional, Maroon (cordovan/oxblood)
  • Nitto 65 ("Crystal Fellow") seat post, 27.2

Other items:
  • Sugino chromed seat binder bolt
  • Newbaum's Eggplant purple cloth handlebar tape
  • Rustines handlebar plugs (like Velox)
  • Nitto M18 front rack
  • Andrew King "Iris" stainless steel water bottle cages
  • Crane bell on Velo Orange spacer


Dee-Lilah is designed so that, if I like, I can add fenders and/or a rear rack if I decide to, say, take her on a tour. But I had her built mainly with day trips in mind, and my first such ride with her has been a joy. 

In all, I have tried to combine my color preferences and my love of traditional bike aesthetics with what is practical for me.  So far, it all seems to have balanced out nicely!

Speaking of aesthetics:  Dee-Lilah's main color is Lilac (hence her name) Polychromatic (#17 on the Mercian colour chart) set off with a head tube and seat panel in Deep Plum Pearl (#56).


                           

2 comments:

  1. When it comes to cassettes, I prefer not to count any higher than 9. This is one beautiful bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MT--Thank you. I agree when it comes to cassettes. And, for freewheels, I prefer not to go over 6 (unless it's a SunTour Ultra-7).

    ReplyDelete