05 February 2019

The Shadow I Saw

Last week, I wrote about the coldest cycle-commute I've pedaled in many years.  The temperature rose gradually during the week, reaching the freezing mark on Friday and the 10-15C (50-60F) yesterday and today.

We didn't get much snow during the cold spell--the squall we experienced brought more wind than anything else--but the fallen flakes stayed on the ground and froze until the thaw.

The result has been mud everywhere.



Neither Punxsutawney Phil nor Staten Island Chuck  saw his shadow.  According to legend, that means Spring will soon arrive.  But I still anticipate more cold weather before the thaw becomes permanent (at least until next winter):  After all I saw this shadow



of a bare tree.  

2 comments:

  1. In my coldest North Texas commute, the water in my water bottle froze into an icy slush during my 20 mile ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve--Back in the day, an old-time cyclist told me to mix some gin in my water bottle before riding on a cold day!

    ReplyDelete