22 March 2019

It's Not Dark--Yet!

Where was I at 5:58 PM (EDT) on Wednesday the 20th, Spring Equinox 2019?




I got out for another late-day ride.  The funny thing was that even though I was pedaling into the wind, I wanted to keep on going. And so I did, to Point Lookout. 





You can tell you've been through a winter when you look beyond the rocks and everything seems to be in a shade of stone:  the almost slate-like blue-grey water, the gnarled brown trees and granular tan-colored sand on the opposite shore.





Even though the days are getting longer, and we have more light at the end of the day because of Daylight Savings Time, getting to Point Lookout meant riding home into the sunset along the Rockaway Boardwalk.




After I turned away from the boardwalk and up the bridge to the Queens "mainland", I kept telling myself "It's not dark yet" as the sun disappeared from view--and, yes, even after I turned on my lights in Ozone Park.





Maybe it had something to do with having the wind at my back.

4 comments:

  1. A ride on an empty boardwalk, I am verging on envious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coline--That's one of the things I love about riding at that time of the day, at this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you ride through there I'll bet the Ramones are providing the sound track in your head.;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phillip—I confess: that’s one of the reasons I ride in Rock-rock-rock-Rockaway Beach!

    ReplyDelete