13 November 2020

A Few Weeks After A Summer Ride

Lambent sun rays flickered through leaves and skittered on rippled water.  I pedaled languidly along the canal path after wandering nearby streets, stopping near a steel footbridge to munch the cheese, bread and tomato, and drink the bottle of water, I picked up along the way.  Flirtation ensued:  I won't say whether they or I instigated it!

Afterward, I wheeled the bike to a cafe and enjoyed a cappuccino--and more flirtation.




You may have guessed, by now, that I was in Paris.  (Did the flirting give it away?) I achieved, without trying, a perfect--or at least postcard image--day in the City of Light. It was all but impossible to think about death, let alone any carnage leading to it.



A few weeks later, however, darkness descended.  On this date (a Friday the 13th, no less!) in 2015, the deadliest and most infamous terrorist attacks struck the city.  Just a couple of tables away from where I enjoyed my cappuccino--at Le Carillon--other patrons, possibly sipping on cappuccinos or cafe espessos--were shot dead.

Even though I've suffered two accidents and injuries just weeks apart, I am still fortunate.  After all, I'd been cycling for about half a century--including that perfect summer day by the Canal Saint Martin-- before my misfortune struck. If only those patrons at Le Carillon could have continued their journeys!


2 comments:

  1. Ah yes - that incident happened just after we'd agreed to an exchange program for my then 15 year old daughter. She went to the north of France and was there when the Belgium aeroport was hit. As least she and her exchange partner did the exchange. We agreed to our younger daughter doing it this year. Our delightful exchange student came to us for 6 weeks and left just as Australia was closing its' borders. Our daughter had her trip cancelled. SIGH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Accordion--Je suis desolee pour votre fille. I hope that things will return to some semblance of normalcy and your younger daughter will have the same opportunity her older sister had.

    I also feel sorry for the exchange student who had to leave. She, and your daughters, are examples of what young people are losing (at least, I hope, for the time being) as a result of the pandemic.

    ReplyDelete