06 July 2014

The Performance-Enhancing Drug Everybody Uses

Of course I'm not surprised to see that Coca-Cola is one of the main sponsors of the FIFA World Cup.  After all, Coke is one of the world's most recognized brands, in part because it' wholly or partially sponsors countless sporting events all over the world.  One of them, of course, is the Tour de France.



For all of the outcry about doping in cycling, football and just about every other sport you care to name, perhaps no single substance has been consumed in greater quantities by more athletes than "The Pause That Refreshes."

Some drink it just before events.  Others sip on it during their runs, rides or games.  And still others gulp it as a "recovery" drink.

Most of those athletes drink their Coke flat or de-fizzed.  Very few substances--even those from the world's most sophisticated labs--can deliver a quicker or more intense "boost"than Coke.  Even Starbuck's would be hard-pressed to concoct something with more sugar and more caffeine per serving than America's most recognized contribution to the world.

From what I've heard and read, Lance himself imbibed.  So did Frank Shorter in the 1972 Olympics.  In my racing days, I even saw racers who were the most resolute vegetarians--or who, at least, hadn't had a dish of ice cream since they were six years old--partake of John Pemberton's invention.

On those rare occasions when I drink soda these days, I drink Coke.  But I don't drink it during rides simply because the carbonation doesn't sit well with me and I don't want to take the time to wait for it to go flat.  But from those who drink it during rides, races, games, events or training, I'd be curious to know whether it has the same effect now that it, like nearly all soft drinks made in the US, uses high-fructose corn syrup rather than cane sugar.

I'd also like to know how many athletes drank it before 1903, when it was still made with fresh coca leaves.  I'd love to know how the anti-doping agencies would deal with it!

 

4 comments:

  1. I like the taste of real Coke (made with sugar). The stuff made with corn syrup is unspeakably vile and undrinkable. The good stuff can still be had from Canada, and I usually bring some back whenever I visit. (Just don't tell Customs at the border that the purpose of your trip was to score some Coke, and they probably won't appreciate the humour.) In the US, around Passover, you might find Coke labelled "Kosher for Passover," which seems to have a yellow cap, and that, too, uses sucrose instead of fructose. All in all, it's probably good that the drinkable kind is such a challenge to find down here, as my thighs don't need any more calories building them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mexico makes Coke with cane sugar, and can usually be found in bottles in the Mexican food section of grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ailish--I agree with you. In fact, nearly all sodas taste worse with syrup. And, Customs folk probably wouldn't appreciate the humor: I sometimes think that Customs, the TSA and similar agencies have irony detectors. If even a trace is found in a candidate, he or she is not hired.

    Paul--Whenever I want Coke, I go to the Mexican food sections or stores. We have plenty of those in New York. As Ailish says, it's probably a good thing that they're not even more plentiful, as the extra effort I have to make limits the amount I drink.

    ReplyDelete