06 February 2014

Where Are The Bikes In Sochi?

This year's Winter Olympics are scheduled to begin tomorrow in Sochi.

While I love both speed and figure skating and some of the other sports, I have never understood why there isn't a cycling event in the Winter Games.

After all, countless cyclists ride in snow and over ice, down mountains and across ponds.  Some even do those things on purpose.

I admit that, at various times in my life, I was one of them--especially when I had a mountain bike.  I suppose I could put some knobby tires on an old bike and make myself a faux cyclo-cross machine, which could work well in wintry conditions.

If I were to do something like that now, it would take me a long time to be as accomplished a rider on snow and ice as these folks in Poland seem to be:






Both photos are from Icebike.

2 comments:

  1. It would be great fun to see a bare-chested
    Putin pedaling his fat bike, dispatching some of the hundreds of stray dogs that are said to be roaming Sochi's streets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MT--On what kind of calendar might we see a bare-chested Putin on his fat bike?

    ReplyDelete